Skip to main content

I hear my father's heart

I hear my father's heart
in the brokenness of his words.
He knew the words
before his brain began to die.
He spoke the words
before his brain began to die.

I hear my father's heart
in the skips and starts,
the stuttering frustrations
of his voice.
The voice that scolded and teased,
that soothed and laughed,
the voice that prayed gentle prayers
and loving blessings.

I hear my father's heart even
when the words don't come.
He tries to tell me that he's proud of me,
that he's proud of my husband, that I've been
a good daughter,
a good wife,
a good mother.
I know this is what he's saying.

Because I know my father's heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Avery and her pumpkin

Red lights

I had an idea yesterday waiting at a red light with absolutely no traffic coming from any direction. Let's go back to four way stops. When I first moved to Corona, I couldn't believe that there were double lane 4 ways, but traffic moved quickly and smoothly. Installing the red lights has created traffic snarls, wasted time and gasoline and ups my ire every time I have to wait for no good reason.