Friday, November 6, 2009

Personal Study Notes on Revelation

"Be in the Word daily" is a mantra in womens' Bible studies. Sounds profound, doesn't it? Yet, we often allow our "abiding in the Word" to become superficial or anecdotal and rob ourselves of the richness of God's wisdom and truth.

While studying Revelation, if we insist that the how of Christ's return is more important than the when, we risk losing sight of the provisions He's made for us. If we say, "I don't care when it happens. I just know that He's coming back for me," we cheapen his Majesty. If the Lord doesn't want us to think, then why do we have his Word to study? He could have sent DVDs like manna so that we could watch mindlessly without wrestling from Genesis to Revelation and back again.

Since childhood I feared Revelation. Way back when we had Wednesday night prayer meetings, before children were separated from their parents to go play while the adults studied, I sat through a study of Revelation with my parents. It scared me. I was too young to understand that Christ would provide for our care and only heard scary images. As a result, I've avoided Revelation like the plague. But several months ago I determined to read the Bible through while sitting with my daughter while she fell asleep. I started with Genesis, but soon started following cross references that led me to Revelation. My hands shook with fear as I turned those pages, but with prayer and perseverance, I read.

I was amazed to discover that Revelation isn't scary after all! And it isn't hard to understand! And it isn't easy to forget everything I've ever read or heard in order to plow through God's Word only. I must keep reminding myself that I can't let science fiction or "christian" movies and novels to determine what I believe. I must abide in God's Word and listen to His voice.

I'll be posting my personal study notes and links to other pages here. You're welcome to join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment